Thursday, June 14, 2007

Day 4 (Belated): Chicago & Washington, IL

Why is this belated? Yonto and I spent most of Wednesday fighting against his new couch. We picked it up from a place nearly an hour away, and also picked up some ratcheting clamps - which sure were fun. But when we got it back to the apartment, it barely got through the door. It most definitely didn't fit in the elevator, although that didn't stop us from trying for close to three hours. We weren't even going to try the stairs, especially with Yonto on the 5th floor. At 2:30, we called it a day. I headed for Washington while Yonto went back to the store to try his luck at exchanging the couch.


The majority of my drive to Washington was spent on I-55. For the first stretch of I-55, I couldn't go more than 5 miles without running into some sort of slowdown. City traffic, flaming car wreck, general confusion over entrance and exit ramps - you name it. As Meg predicted, once I got past I-80, things cleared up. Good thing, too - after the couch ordeal, I wouldn't have been able to handle 100+ miles of congestion. While I was on the road, I was able to get this great picture.


Also while on the road, I wrote a couple of reminders on my hand. I didn't try to take pictures of the reminders while driving, but I did once I got to Mike and Meg's. On the back of my hand, I reminded myself to give Patrick his baptism card from Klondike. (Patrick, by the way, was baptized last October.)


On my palm, I reminded myself that the season premiere of Rescue Me was on Wednesday night at 9 central. That's a good show.


Next I tried to take pictures of Patrick, with varying success.



Finally, Mike and I went on a quick beer run to Friar Tuck's, which features mix-and-match six packs. Not pictured is Golden Pheasant, the Slovak beer I purchased. Since I was only in Washington for a few days, Mike and I decided not to purchase the bottle shown below:


I spend all of Thursday in Washington before heading out to the Field of Dreams and College World Series Friday. That's assuming I can figure out how to get in 8 hours of driving before 6 PM. Wish me luck

2 comments:

DYonto said...

I am sure you will be happy to know that I was indeed able to return the couch for a full refund. This is despite the fact it was bought at a tent sale where, "all sales are final, no returns or exchanges."

John said...

Phew, that's a relief. Are you still sans couch, or did you get a new one?