Sunday, June 17, 2007

Day 8: Omaha, Kansas City, & Waterloo, IL

Before I left Omaha, I felt I needed to document certain aspects of my stop there. This was my sleeping arrangement: a futon and a Disney princesses pillow. I didn't sleep with the Minnie towel, but I definitely used it in the shower.


After leaving Saturdays games, Sarah and I realized that we didn't take any pictures together at the stadium. So here's a picture of the two of us, to prove that Sarah actually was there the whole time. (Two other things of note: 1) I'm actually not blinking in this picture, and 2) Sarah was nice enough to scrunch down a little so I don't look so short.)


From Omaha, I went to Kansas City to visit the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum. The drive to Kansas City was the first time on this whole trip that I've missed a turn. Fortunately, I assumed the museum was downtown, and after orientating myself, I followed the signs for Downtown Kansas City. The museum is on East 18th Street, so after the highway dropped me off at Broadway & 1st Street, it was pretty easy going from there.

Cameras weren't allowed in the museum, which is actually part of a larger building that holds several museums. I was able to take a picture of the sign outside. However, I realized that standing in the middle of the street just to get the whole sign in the shot wasn't a great idea. So you'll just have to trust me that the sign doesn't say "NEGRO LEAGUES HOUSEBALL MUSEUM."


From what I could gather, the block on which the museum is located - 18th & Vine - has a lot of cultural history. Here's a banner for the American Jazz Museum.


Leaving Kansas City, I headed for Andy's place in Waterloo, IL. On the way, I saw a sign for a Sonic. I'm sure many of you have seen the commercials but don't know of any Sonics nearby. I've always felt the same way, and wondered whether or not the commercials were just some big hoax. I needed gas, so I stopped at the exit that had the Sonic sign. Rest assured, they do exist. (And as we all know, grainy photographs posted on the Internet are more than enough to prove something exists.) I ordered a blue coconut slushie, and it was delicious.



I made it to Andy's around 10 PM Central, making this the latest I've been out driving so far. But considering this was my second longest day of driving, that's not too bad. I don't have any pictures of the St. Louis area yet, but I'll work on that over the next few days.

No comments: